29 kesä Filtration of mining industry and development of filtration process measurement – MineFiltr
Name: Kaivannaisteollisuuden lietteiden suotautuvuus ja mittaamisen kehittäminen
Total costs (€)/Tekes support 312 447 €/279 407€
Contact persons: Jukka Räty, University of Oulu, Cemis-Oulu, jukka.raty(at)oulu.fi
Research organization partners: Kajaani university of applied sciences
Company partners: Metso Automation, Talvivaara, ABB, Kajaanin Prosessimittaajat
Number of other publications and reports: 1
Need and motivation of the project:
More efficient industrial processes are being developed for example for economical reasons and for issues concerning environment protection. This causes pressure also for the development of measurement technology.
In mining industry, and as well as in other industry fields, the consumption of energy and water wish to be reduced. In quarrying and concentration processing of valuable minerals and metals there is a need for the advanced measurement technology and information provided by sensors for process control. For example, no predictive monitoring for the dewatering of mineral slurries exists.
The goal of this project is to increase knowledge in a field of dewatering processes of mining slurries and based on this to develop and utilize field operating sensing technology for the optimal function of these processes.
Main set targets:
- Increase the knowledge about a dewatering measurement techniques of mineral slurries.
- Decrease the water and energy consumption of dewatering process.
- Develop dewatering measurements and optimization and transfer of robust field measurements to dewatering control.
- The model was used for pulp drainage analysis. The model represents dewatering measurement data better than traditional Darcy’s law. In this project, we showed that used model operate dewatering process of mineral sludges.
- We proved that, optical measurements such as turbidity and transmission are practical measurements to follow up dewatering measurements.
- Versatile laboratory set-up for dewatering studies was built.
Commercialization measures and/or potential
The results of MineFiltr project were promising. Most of the measurements used in this project were easy to implement to the laboratory set-up. Moreover, they will also work in online measurement. However, more research and development is needed to the optimization of the method and device for commercialization.